Wednesday 17 August 2011

Thing 7: Face-to-face networks and professional organisations

CILIP & CILIPS NE

Already being a member of CILIP has help my professional development. My special interest groups are COFHE and (Colleges of Further and Higher Education) and The Careers Development Group.  I chose these groups because I work within a College of Further Education and I am trying to work towards Chartership. 

COFHE produce a Bulletin which is full of information about innovations and developments within College Libraries.

The Careers development Group does exactly as it says on the box, helps with my career development.  The group produce a journal called IMPACT which contains articles about Chartership, Conferences, Courses and much more.

CILIP also produce a journal called UPDATE which includes Gazette, the job supplement.

You get quite a lot for your membership but I still feel the fees are expensive especially with the economy as it is.

I also got involved with a newsletter group for the North East of Scotland Branch of CILIP but due to changes in the Chair for CILIPS NE and the time commitment this is no longer produced.  This is disappointing but it did get me connected within the Profession.

GRAMPIAN INFORMATION

There is also an organisation in the North East of Scotland called Grampian Information. *"Grampian Information is a collaborative organisation that works to provide locally delivered opportunities for sharing professional knowledge and expertise in library and information services through training and networking".

They have an annual conference every year, and run a  number of events and training.  I have attended in the past but due to staffing it has been difficult to do any external training.

*Information taken from Grampian Information Website http://grampianinfo.co.uk/

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cheryl, Your post was very useful to me as I live and work in North East Scotland. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete